Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Euro Road Trip Day 1 - Amsterdam to Luxembourg

I flew into Schipol Airport via Frankfurt, Lufthansa being my airline of choice these days. Technically, I didn't hit the ground in Germany - being in transit only - but as the first Schengen country I entered, my passport was stamped there, so I've added it to the list of countries visited. A small cheat, but who's counting? :-)
The funniest thing that happened was the German immigration officer looking at my Canadian passport and asking if I lived in Italy (I was born in Milano). Seriously, dude...if I lived in Italy, wouldn't I have flashed an Italian passport and wouldn't I have been in the line for Schengen citizens? 

Flying into Amsterdam was short and brisk, other than having to check in my second piece of hand luggage because the flight was "full". That completely defeated the purpose of my taking carry-on luggage only and forced me to wait an extra half hour at Schipol. Oh well - I was too excited about the trip to care about something that trivial.

I picked up this gorgeous Fiat 500 at Schipol. I didn't name "Claudia" until I hit a moment of inspiration while journeying through the Alps later that week, but she does look like a "Claudia", doesn't she? :-)



Between Claudia and Alex, my trusty GPS, not to mention my pre-planned maps and routes, I was ready to hit the road.

First stop was Luxembourg, via Belgium. The drive there was very nice - in a countryside fashion. Lots of cows and farms, and of course, lots of windmills, especially in the Netherlands and northern Belgium. Luxembourg is a wondrous creation - the old city is built almost entirely within high walls (see below), most of the people speak Luxembourgish, German, French (and some English) and they are VERY multicultural. I had a very interesting broken French conversation with an African lady who looked and dressed like she was in her tiny French West African hamlet...which just seemed strange for one of the financial centers of Europe.

I got in around 6pm and spent most of the evening - till nigh on 11pm - walking around the old town, taking pictures and making myself (and Claudia) a general nuisance with my basic French and Nigerian-Canadian enthusiasm.

I also had this traditional Luxembourgish dinner at Mousel Cantine - roast pig's thigh with sauerkraut, green beans in gravy, farmer's bread and sliced roast potatoes. Washed down with pineapple juice, it was just what the doctor ordered.

All in all, I had a great time in Luxembourg...I took more pictures and sight-saw more than I thought I'd be able to. Importantly, I discovered that I could actually hold basic conversations in French and even some German. Good news, considering that all my future destinations would be in French-speaking locales.

Daily Summary - 425km traveled, 4 countries visited (Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg)

4 comments:

  1. We Can supply Aviation Kerosene,Jet fuel (JP 54-A1,5), Diesel (Gas Oil) and Fuel Oil D2, D6,ETC in FOB/Rotterdam only, serious buyer should contact or if you have serious buyers my seller is ready to close this deal fast contact us below:now base email us (neftegazagent@yandex.ru)

    PRODUCT AVAILABLE IN ROTTERDAM/ CI DIP AND PAY IN SELLER EX-SHORE TANK.

    Russia D2 50,000-150,000 Metric Tons FOB Rotterdam Port.

    JP54 5000,000 Barrels per Month FOB Rotterdam.

    JA1 Jet Fuel 10,000,000 Barrels FOB Rotterdam.

    D6 Virgin Fuel Oil 800,000,000 Gallon FOB Rotterdam.

    E-mail: neftegazagent@yandex.ru
    E: neftegazagent@mail.ru
    E: neftegazagent@yahoo.com

    Best Regards
    (Mr.) Vladislav Yakov
    Skype: neftegazagent

    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jp54,D6,JA1,D2, Available FOB Rotterdam
    2017-11-28

    We are ready and willing to sell Jp54,D6,JA1,D2, Available FOB Rotterdam and CIF ASWP without any upfront Payment.
    Also We have reliable Storage Tanks (Tank Farm) and Vessel (CPA) Available at the port of Rotterdam for lease.

    Interested persons(Buyer) should contact me for further details and arrangements.

    Note: please dont send Message HERE, Send them via email or skype.

    Dr Aleksandr Fedorovich
    EMAIL:(business.spartanoil_consultant@list.ru)
    SKYPE: business.spartanoil

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE HAVE PETROLEUM PRODUCT ON FOB AND CIF BASIS.

    We have Available Petroleum and petrochemical Products such as, D2, D6, Jp54 and JETA1 on FOB Rotterdam and CIF basis. from Russian Refinery, We can deliver good quality and quantity with competitive prices. We welcome serious and ready buyers. If you are interested kindly contact us { neftegazconsultant@yandex.ru } for SCO. Thanks

    Best Regards
    {Mr.} Maksim Yaroslav
    Email: neftegazconsultant@mail.ru
    Email: neftegazconsultant@yandex.ru
    Skype: neftegazconsultant

    ReplyDelete
  4. For Serious Buyer/ Buyer mandate with UNCONDITIONAL DTA

    We have JP54,D2, D6, JetA1 product in Rotterdam/Russia for immediate lift with UNCONDITIONAL DTA,where buyer conduct dip test in seller tank with proof of product.
    Kindly Contact us via (usmanovoilandgas@yahoo.com) for SCO.

    Regards
    Usmanov Alexie
    email: usmanovoilandgas60@mail.ru,
    skype: usmanovoilandgas

    ReplyDelete